The other day in the hallway I couldn't help but overhear two guys talking about how excited they were for the break, and how pumped they were to be visiting Colorado together. As I listened closer, I heard them more specifically talking about how they were so excited mostly because marijuana had finally been legalized in the state.
I wouldn't be telling the truth if I were to say I didn't know anyone who smoked marijuana, or I didn't know anyone who smoked cigarettes. I feel as though maybe not a majority of the kids, but definitely a high amount of kids at New Trier do make the choice to smoke marijuana and even cigarettes. Time magazine even wrote an article on the "High Times at New Trier", and how in fact kids at New Trier did smoke a lot.
I feel as though this legalization will now even encourage younger people to think smoking is even more okay than it was, and it's not as big of a deal to do it. Being as it is legal in two other states now, it may even spread over to more states. Even though providing a proper education in schools about drug awareness will always help, and encourage some people to stay away; there are still some kids who just won't take in the dangers and harms of drug use. Clearly many people who do tend to smoke marijuana become abusers of the drug, and now that's it's legal they'll be able to obtain it more easily, and abuse it even more without any legal consequence that may discourage them from doing it.
I just feel as though because the drug is now being legalized in more places, there should be a raised awareness of the effects it can have on you. Sure, it's definitely not as harmful (look at "annual American deaths cuased by drugs") as some substances as well as cigarettes, which are legal, it still can lead to major abuse of the drug and terrible side affects. My mom always tells me, "if you smoke weed Laura, you're killing your brain cells."
Anyway what do you think about the legalization? Do you think it's worth it? To what extent do you think this law may be helpful or harmful to our citizens? Comment below.
No comments:
Post a Comment